Few names are as well known in the area of labour law as that of Andrew Levy. In Andrew Levy’s Labour Law in Practice: A Guide for South African Employers, Levy and his co-authors, Jackie Kelly and Daniel Levy, share their vast experience of South African labour law for the benefit of the average manager who has a million things to do but also has to cope with everything demanded of him or her by labour legislation in this country.
South African labour law is generally seen as a rigid and difficult to administer, but with the right guidance it is not as daunting as it seems. All a manager needs to do is to understand the context of the law in which he or she is operating, and apply the principles fairly and consistently.
- The book is written in an easy-to-read style and recommends a non-legalistic approach to labour-relations practices.
- The book is written for business people and human relations managers who are not labour law experts- the authors decode the legal jargon and explain how best to implement good labour practices in business.
- Labour-related issues are often seen as complicated and can be extremely intimidating for employers- this book helps business people to navigate these difficult waters with ease and common sense.
- This is NOT a labour law textbook.
About the authors
Andrew Levy is South Africa’s top labour law consultant and has extensive experience with strikes and collective bargaining. He is highly sought after as a commentator on labour-relations issues.
Andrew has been at the forefront of labour relations in South Africa, and is a well-known teacher, writer, arbitrator, broadcaster and commentator on South African labour and employment.
He is joined in the practice by his son Daniel Levy, who specializes in the running of disciplinary hearings and dismissal disputes.
Jackie Kelly provides research services and edits the Wage Settlement Survey which reports on wage agreements and settlement levels, as well as the Industrial Action Monitor, which produces data on strikes and similar labour disputes.
Author biographies courtesy Andrew Levy Employment
- Andrew Levy’s Labour Law in Practice: A Guide for South African Employers by Andrew Levy, Jackie Kelly, Daniel Levy
Find this book with BOOK Finder!
» read article